Try this Seated Hip Opener
Do you have pain, tingling, or numbness in the buttocks? Pain can be severe and extend down the length of the sciatic nerve (called sciatica). The pain is due to the piriformis muscle compressing the sciatic nerve.
Try this Seated Hip Opener -Be patient with this stretch. Many of us forget to stretch our hips and they may be quite stiff. It’s also perfect for that gluteus maximus…I love this exercise.
Begin sitting up tall in the chair.
Place your left ankle on your right knee.
With your back straight, bend forward from your hips until you feel the stretch.
Hold 15-30 seconds. Repeat on other side.
TIP: So, whether you’re at home trying to get a few minutes away from the kids or at the office trying to get away from your co-workers, remember these stretches this week and give them a try. Chairs aren’t just for sitting anymore!
- The sciatic nerve (andreemond.ca)
- Sciatica and Tight Hips/Low-Back – Your Pesky Piriformis! (elephantjournal.com)
- Therapeutic herbs for sciatic pain (sott.net)
- Symptoms and Treatments for Sciatic Nerve Pain during your Pregnancy (msemakweli.com)
- Sciatica Nerve Pain Relief – What’s The Most Suitable Choice? (prevention2010.typepad.com)
- More on Sciatica (legalballerina.com)
- Pregnancy and Sciatica (swisschiropractic.wordpress.com)